Sergey Kolesov is the leading Russian musician saxophonist of today. He has been conducting successful concert and pedagogical activities all over the world for more than 20 years (Europe, America, Asia). Kolesov is the first Russian musician in history to win the "Grand-prix" at the prestigious International Adolphe Sax Competition in Dinant, Belgium, 2006. In 2019 Sergey Kolesov has been honoured to represent Russia at this huge event.
The official Yamaha (Japan) and D’Addario (USA) artist. A graduate of the Russian Gnesin's Academy of Music in the class of Professor Margarita Shaposhnikova, Sergey Kolesov is the first prize winner of an impressive number of additional prestigious international competitions: in Italy (International Chamber Music Competition "Salieri-Zinetti") Verona, 2010, and in Germany (European Chamber Music Competition) Karlsruhe, 2012. Special prize «Henry Selmer» at the International saxophone competition "Saxiana" in Paris. His successful performances at these competitions have served to raise the level of concert saxophone playing up to the expectations of other more recognized and better established instruments of classical music.
The uniqueness of Sergey Kolesov is that he is one of the few world wind players who is able to play grandiose dramatic solo concert programs, keeping the attention and tension of the audience throughout the concert.
“. . .all doubts regarding possibilities of classical solo saxophone were disproved at once. This first concert of 19th International Julita Festival was really fantastic. Sergey Kolesov took the public by storm from the very start.”
Sven Bertilsson, Katrineholms Kuriren, Sweden
“At a concert of the festival in Verona “Great Music in Places of Arts” two musicians Sergey Kolesov (saxophone) and Elena Grinevich (piano) have demonstrated their outstanding technical and artistic skills, both individually and in ensemble, having totally confirmed their first prize at “Saliery-Zinetty 2010”.
Chiara Zocca, Verona, Italy
“Two great musicians performed in the City Hall of Karlsruhe - Sergey Kolesov (saxophone) and Elena Grinevich (piano), first prize winners of the 4th European Chamber Music Competition, delighting the audience with original works and transcriptions for saxophone and piano from Claude Debussy to Edison Denisov. You have to hear Sergey Kolesov yourself in order to realize the ability of his saxophone to “talk” with the human voice, conveying most precise intonation and emotional nuances.”
Claus-Dieter Hanauer, Karlsruhe, Germany
● The soloist of the International Music Festival, Kagawa, Japan;
● The soloist of the International Chamber Music Festival "Julita festival", Sweden;
● The soloist of the International Music Festival "Carlos Gomez Foundation", Belem, Brazil;
● The soloist of the South-American Saxophone Festival "Peru Sax", Trujilho, Peru;
● The artist and representative of the Russian saxophone school at the International Saxophone Congress, Lubljana, Slovenia;
● The artist and representative of the Russian saxophone school at the International Saxophone Congress,
● The soloist of the International Saxophone Festival "Gran Canaria Sax", Canarian Islands, Spain;
● The soloist and professor of the International Saxophone Festival, Poznan, Poland;
● The soloist and professor of the International Saxophone Festival "Saxiana", Paris, France;
● The soloist of the International Music Festival "Palaces of Saint-Petersburg", Russia;
Sergey Kolesov is a professor of Saint Petersburg State Conservatory. His students occupy leading positions in the Russian and world saxophone school. Kolesov is the organizer and inspiration for the biggest saxophone performance projects in Russia: International Saxophone Competition “The Voice of Saxophone in the Modern World” (Russian Gnesin’s Academy 2011), International Saxophone Competitions in 2014, 2015, 2017, as well as master classes with outstanding musicians from around the world. Sergey Kolesov is the author of the Russian national musical educational project «Forest Sax school in Slavonic Kremlin».
Sergey Kolesov serves as a member of juries of International competitions, the International TV children competition “Nutcracker,” as well as at a number of festivals and competitions in Russia. He regularly takes part in programs of the international charitable foundation “Gift of Life.”